The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Quotes

Gwaihir

Guest Carlyan the Wise

This guy is great-- combining humor with a message is always the way to persuade someone to do something, if you ask me.

"Hell hath no fury like a North American who has been slightly inconvenienced"

-R. Fairchild

"It takes more courage to bare your heart to someone than all your other sinful body parts combined."

-R. Fairchild

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I was just going to post a few lines, but I'm just going to give everyone a link to this song. It's possibly one of the best Hip-hop songs I've heard, if simply for the message, which is quite clear. (Which is a plus for me, 'cause I usually have trouble interpreting things, so stuff that's plain and simple is great, in my opinion ^.^ ) I may not be good at telling what good music is, especially within the world of Hip-Hop, which is still rather new to me, but I do know what I like, and I think others would/will like this song if they listen to it.

Highly recommended. Very highly.

display.lyrics.astraweb.com:2000/display.cgi?aesop_rock..labor_days..no_regrets

Here is my favorite one.

"It is only imperfection that complains of what is imperfect. The more perfect we are the more gentle and quiet we become towards the defects of others. "

-Joseph Addison

and of course..

"Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione."

translates to I'm not interested in your dopey religious cult.

which just cracks me up everytime i read it.

Guest Rhapsody

Don't know many quotes, but I'll give it a go.

Beneath the rule of men entirely great,

The pen is mightier than the sword.

-Edward Bulwer-Lytton Richieieu

Weed - a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Maybe this world is another planet's Hell.

-Aldous Huxley Brave New World

But man is not made for defeat. A man can be destroyed but not defeated.

-Ernest Hemingway The Old Man and the Sea

Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind.

-Rudyard Kipling

• 9 months later...

Four of my favorite Terry Pratchett quotes:

* - "We've got a lot of experience of not having any experience"

- "But the point is... the point is... the point is we've not been

experienced for a lot longer than you."

--(Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad)

* It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Jingo)

* The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)

And my favorite of favorites:

* Nanny Ogg looked under her bed in case there was a man there. Well, you never knew your luck.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies)

(Nanny Ogg rules, yay! ^_^)

"There is no such thing as pure good or pure evil, least of all in people. In the best of us there are thoughts or deeds that are wicked, and in the worst of us, at least some virtue. An adversary is not one who does loathsome acts for their own sake. He always has a reason that to him is justification."

Terry Goodkind - "Wizard's First Rule"

give someone a shiny, they're happy for minutes....teach someone how to BE a shiny and they're happy for a lifetime :) or at least until they tarnish

"Everyone dies - not everyone lives"

"As long as you're alive - there's hope"

"Don't swear your soul to any man or god, unless your soul, heart, and mind do it first"

-Provided by Raimour.

Pet purple fuzzy things: good idea or a disaster waiting to happen?

The great shiney shortage of 86.

Do were-horses make good steeds?

What to do about the endangered Ghinas Indian Rubber Chickens of the east coast.

Canid's AoA Tonight topics

Two roads diverged in a wood and I

I took the road less traveled by

And that has made all the difference

- Robert Frost

"Hey, if you want to make an omlette, you gotta...destroy a few forests, or something."

-Black Mage, 8-bit Theatre

During a pillow fight:

Salinye: "You're supposed to be on MY side!"

Daryl: "Whatever gave you that thought? I'm a random agent of chaos!"

And when the hourglass has run out, the hourglass of temporality, when the noise of secular life has grown silent and its restless or ineffectual activism has come to an end, when everything around you is still, as it is in eternity, then eternity asks you and every individual in these millions and millions about only one thing: whether you have lived in despair or not.

Soren Kierkegaard

"The Sickness Unto Death"

(And don't forget the quote in my signature)

Mark Twain

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain.

A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval.

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

Barring that natural expression of villainy which we all have, the man looked honest enough.

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear.

"I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong. "

"Having chosen our course, without guile and with pure purpose, let us renew our trust in God, and go forward without fear and with manly hearts. "

"My greatest concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure. "

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. " - All Lincoln

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Abraham Lincoln

You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

It's not true that life is one damn thing after another; it is one damn thing over and over.

Personally, I love quotes, and I have quite a collection. I will post a few...

Faith is believing in things when commen sense tells you not to. - Unknown

If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission. - Unknown

If you can't learn to do it well, learn to enjoy doing it badly. -Ashleigh Brilliant

Maybe this world is another planet's hell.-Unknown

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amatuers built the ark and professionals built the Titanic.-Unknown

The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it. – Woodrow Wilson

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

--Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)

Luck can't last a lifetime unless you die young. - Russell Banks

A man's reach should exceed his grasp -- or what's a heaven for?

-Robert Browning

It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.

-Alfred Adler

Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything.

Blaise Pascal

All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion, and desire.

Aristotle

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Aristotle

`````````````````````````````````

"Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that, but not with all those flies and death and stuff." --Mariah Carey

````````````

"Smoking kills. If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life," --Brooke Shields, during an interview to become Spokesperson for federal anti-smoking campaign.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````

"I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body,"--Winston Bennett, University of Kentucky basketball forward.

`````````````````````````````````````````````

"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in

the country," --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington, DC.

`````````````````````````````

"I'm not going to have some reporters pawing through our papers. We are the president." --Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents.

``````````` `````````````````````````````````````````

"That lowdown scoundrel deserves to be kicked to death by a jackass, and I'm just the one to do it," --A congressional candidate in Texas.

````````````````````````````

"Half this game is ninety percent mental." --Philadelphia Phillies manager, Danny Ozark

``````````````````````````````````

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it." --Al Gore, Vice President

```````````````````

"I love California. I practically grew up in Phoenix." --Dan Quayle

``````````

" It's no exaggeration to say that the undecideds could go one way or

another"--George Bush, US President

``````````````````````

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"--Lee Iacocca

```````````

"I was provided with additional input that was radically different from the

truth. I assisted in furthering that version." --Colonel Oliver North, from his Iran-Contra testimony.

`````````````````````````````````````````

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like

Norman Einstein." --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback &sports analyst.

````````````````````````````````````````````

"We don't necessarily discriminate. We simply exclude certain types of

people."--Colonel Gerald Wellman, ROTC Instructor.

`````````````````````````````````

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure." --Bill Clinton, President

``````````````````

"We are ready for an unforeseen event that may or may not occur." --Al Gore, VP

``````````

"Traditionally, most of Australia's imports come from overseas." --Keppel Enderbery

```````````````

"Your food stamps will be stopped effective March 1992 because we received notice that you passed away. May God bless you. You may reapply if there is a change in your circumstances." --Department of Social Services, Greenville, South Carolina

````````````````````````````````````````````

"If somebody has a bad heart, they can plug this jack in at night as they

go to bed and it will monitor their heart throughout the night. And the

next morning, when they wake up dead, there'll be a record."--Mark S. Fowler, FCC Chairman

• 2 months later...

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."

Thomas Edison

"Perfection is not attainable, but if you chase perfection, you can catch excellence."

Vince Lombardi

"I love strawberries and cream but fish like worms, so when I go fishing I use worms."

Dale Carnegie

"I wanted to change the world. But I have found that the only thing one can be sure of changing is oneself."

Aldous Huxley

"Vision is the art of seeing things invisible."

Jonathon Swift

"If persuasion doesn't work, try bullets."

Abraham Lincoln

"Complacency is a one-way ticket to the back of the line."

Unknown

"True quality in communication is taking the time to be brief, yet understood. If I had more time I'd write a shorter note."

Unknown

i always enjoy a great quote... i make some myself but i enjoy hearing others...i too look at quotes andput them in my little notebook(ofcourse aknowledging the author)...here are a few

"war does not determine who is right, it dtermines who is left"

"life without love is just another death"my bro krys

"those who quote me are fools"

"we are the musicmakers,the dreamers of dreams" willy wonka

"a stuntman is only worth his paycheck"

"if you're following me you're going backwards" my mom

"pricking your finger on the thorn only makes the rose more red"

"you know what really sucks...a vacuum"

"he who throws dirt loses ground" some k-mart poster

"when hell is full, the dead will walk the earth" rotten.com--recommend it :)

:butterfly: yatsuna13