The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

What music are you currently listening to?

The Portrait of Zool

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm a die-hard prog fan (diverse and eclectic tastes) living with a jazz-fan husband. We both are into vinyl, so there's always something on the turntable. Last night I listened to some Caligula's Horse and Nostalgia 77.

Here is an acoustic version of Caligula's Horse "The City Has No Empathy" (vastly different from the album version). I listened to the album several times while driving up and down the eastern seaboard this summer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nl_KxLNzxU

Well, I'm a die-hard prog fan (diverse and eclectic tastes) living with a jazz-fan husband. We both are into vinyl, so there's always something on the turntable. Last night I listened to some Caligula's Horse and Nostalgia 77.

Here is an acoustic version of Caligula's Horse "The City Has No Empathy" (vastly different from the album version). I listened to the album several times while driving up and down the eastern seaboard this summer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nl_KxLNzxU

NIce! Gonna have to pick that up.

Here is a sample of the new vinyl I picked up the other day:

Edited by The Portrait of Zool

Wow...I'm going to have to look up more of their videos. I've only listened to this one song, but I hear a bit of the "shoegazing" vibe of a band I like, The Gathering. I like their older work with Anneke van Giersbergen singing. I can't seem to find a good video of their song "Saturnine" but here's a live version:

Wow...I'm going to have to look up more of their videos. I've only listened to this one song, but I hear a bit of the "shoegazing" vibe of a band I like, The Gathering. I like their older work with Anneke van Giersbergen singing. I can't seem to find a good video of their song "Saturnine" but here's a live version:

Nice!

Here's a 'Saturnine' I really like - though it's not available on vinyl: :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUZ0ocB3dCs

Nice!

Here's a 'Saturnine' I really like - though it's not available on vinyl: :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUZ0ocB3dCs

I missed this one the first time around!!

(And I'm not entirely sure how to use the quote feature on here)

Edited by Brighid of Byrness

I'll try not to post too many Steven Wilson videos on this thread, but if we're talking artists who inspire me...it's him! From the earliest Porcupine Tree up through some of his side collaborations (listen to all of Bass Communion's" Drugged" while "tuning in and dropping out" with a glass of red wine...or whatever) and especially his newest solo albums backed by a band of phenomenal musicians, I love his compositions and his lyrics!

This is a video song snippet I just came across a few minutes ago of the live show I went to last spring. It's not the greatest audio but it's cool because I was one of the blobs two or three rows back from the stage, slightly to the left of Steven's piano.

Ah, the 80's....I remember them well!

I lost my original vinyl collection when it was in storage, so the last few years I've been trying to collect the albums I had "way back when" and mostly adding new stuff. I did find one of my favorite "feel good" albums from the 80's at a flea market -- Crowded House -- which I often crank on Saturday mornings while I'm cleaning the house. Lifts my spirits and makes me smile

Crowded house is the BOMB!!! That is one of the first CDs I ever bought, but I also now have the LP. I also have their last concert on DVD. SO cool! I am fortunate here to have a used record store where I can pick up a lot of records for two or three bucks!

Would love to share more but I'm actually kinda going nuts on this post... ;)

Currently I'm listening to CLASSIC Asia! (yes, on vinyl)

Keep it coming! :D

Edited by The Portrait of Zool

Ooh, this is nice... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjDIRDlEyCE&list=RD020HI7-4GtXKk

A list of Cal Tjader songs, all very nice (so far). I have 5 of his albums, but his career spanned 40 years and over 30 albums, so I suppose I have a way to go to complete the collection.

Haha people laugh at Tommy Garrett but believe it or not as sappy as the music is the record albums are masterworks of engineering. They sound quite impressive with a good sound system.

I have a lot of 50's lounge music (Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman, Les Baxter, et al) because I also dabble in old 50's Hifi equipment. That siad, I have a LOT of varied stuff. I suppose you'll see the extent of it over time.

She is new to me. Isn't it wild to think how many musicians there are in the world and then realize you have only heard the tip of the iceberg? I went to see Jeremy Pelt at Bohemian Caverns two weekends ago. I had never heard him of before but ended up being amazed and thoroughly entertained.