The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Write the lyrics!

Preprise

If you want to participate in this activity, click the following link to hear the tune -> LADADA

Post you rlyrics in this thread.

I'll pick a set of lyrics based on the following.

1: Has to techniaclly fit in the melody. Each "la" or each note is roughly one syllable. It's flexible. I can tweak the number of notes to fit the lyrics but not exageratedly. Meaning that the pattern should be similar overall. Also, the notes that are longer should have words that require emphasis or at least make sense to emphasize. A common problem is "the". It sounds weird to sing, the sun meets THE moon. I could tweak that to sort of sing a half beat on the and elongate "moon". Same goes for high notes. Just try to keep it in mind but don't let it shackle you.

2: It has to "click". Sorry, I can't really describe what makes lyrics click with a song. It can be appropriate to the style or unexpected. It can be literal or abstract. It's something that just works.

3: I have to recieve the lyrics before February first.

You don't have to stick to the verse, verse chorus, verse, chorus structure. You can add and substract.

Don't hesitate to ask questions here in the thread. We'll have good fun!

Edited by Jason Newcomb

Guest MoonieTunes

Mhmhz, just little question about the whole song, would ya mind if the text's made for lets say Old Western cowboy style ? Toughed it fits the song :D

• 3 weeks later...

O.K., I'm not a good lyricist, but I was going to give it a try. THEN, you went and offered to kick a puppy. A dilemma now arises. . . will there be a video of said kicking? NOW, don't get me wrong! I am an animal lover. . . no, not THAT kind - you know, some of you REEAALLYY need to re-evaluate your thought process!

ANYWAYS, as I was saying, I like animals, ESPECIALLY puppies! But, one can never pass up a good puppy kicking! :w00t: It's all in the set-up: Will the puppy be facing you? Will there be a running start? How big of a puppy? Will there be an obstacle to impact or will you be going for distance? Can you kick a cat instead (A guaranteed crowd pleaser!)? :cat:

So MANY variables! :yuipup:

• 2 weeks later...

Well. Here you go Jason. I really didn't have time to get to this sooner. It's not a very solid attempt, I admit. But it's more of a social comment anyway. Still, feel welcome to use it if you still want to do this ^^

Here goes:

Beat the eraser

You'd think that writing a song is not

not too difficult

You'd think that writing a symphony

would be a piece of cake

Yet we all stood

twiddling our thumbs

You'd think a writing community

would just shake their arms

And lyrics would come rolling out their sleaves

Yet that seems untrue

As we all stood

scratching ideas

Pen mightier than the sword

but eraser still beats the pen

Just confidence and

some random words will

beat the eraser

(kinda stuck here. I guess I'd space it: eighth note(beat)-eighth rest-eighth(the)-three quarters(e-ra-ser) syncopated between the beats, crossing one eighth into the next measure. if you know what I mean :P)

So then here is my attempt

my attempt at this

songwriting thing that we do so well

just to save our face

since writing is

what we do best

climb into your pens!

Find inspiration

just inspiration

and beat the eraser

Edited by Mardrax

Well. Here you go Jason. I really didn't have time to get to this sooner. It's not a very solid attempt, I admit. But it's more of a social comment anyway. Still, feel welcome to use it if you still want to do this ^^

Here goes:

Beat the eraser

You'd think that writing a song is not

not too difficult

You'd think that writing a symphony

would be a piece of cake

Yet we all stood

twiddling our thumbs

You'd think a writing community

would just shake their arms

And lyrics would come rolling out their sleaves

Yet that seems untrue

As we all stood

scratching ideas

but eraser still beats the pen

Just confidence and

some random words will

beat the eraser

(kinda stuck here. I guess I'd space it: eighth note(beat)-eighth rest-eighth(the)-three quarters(e-ra-ser) syncopated between the beats, crossing one eighth into the next measure. if you know what I mean :P)

So then here is my attempt

my attempt at this

songwriting thing that we do so well

just to save our face

since writing is

what we do best

climb into your pens!

Find inspiration

just inspiration

and beat the eraser

AWESOME! Look for video within a few weeks. These 60 hour weeks are eating time.