The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

What Happened To The Pen??

Salinye

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been living on Arrakis for most of this past year. Things got completely insane there, so I decided to come somewhere saner. ^_^

So how goes the Spice flow? Still have issues with those damnable sand worms? Hope the Freman arent giving you too much trouble.

Edited by Nyarlathotep

*reflects on the extended lame excuse*

uhuh.. stuff, and such.. oh and things as well..

Actually I've spend a lot of my time working and in my free time I kill Nyarlathotep and other Elders. It's a busy life, being investigator and munchkin *grins*

Now that I have my own internetz again, I might be on more.. or not.

Time will tell ;)

• 2 weeks later...

LOL When did this thread get so big.

I swear, I step away for FIVE minutes....

I tried to revive an rp here, but it got bottlenecked by a certain someone *you know who you are!*

My writing business is taking off like CRAZY! I'm pretty excited, if it continues at this pace, my husband will be able to quit his job and we can work the business full time together. What a dream!!

*hugs to all*

~Salinye

Huge congrats on the writing stuff, oh fortunate stranger. That's pretty inspirational.

As for the slowing of The Pen, I've been tempted to write a paper on the life cycle of internet forums (forums... fora... either is correct). Make a great cure for insomnia, that would. Maybe if it were rum-flavored it would be more popular?

Silliness aside, along with the obvious contributing factors, such as people getting busy with life or wandering off to other places, I first stumbled upon this fine, fine place while googling a Bored of The Rings reference. Possibly as a direct result, I think the content of this site can no longer be web-searched, so there aren't a lot of walk-ons adding to the talent pool.

Or maybe this is just a brief period of retrograde motion and the place will soon wheel through the sky at speeds faster than e'er before.

One can hope.

Edited by Disco-neck Ted

Yes, congrats Sal! :)

Personally, I think the slowdown is endemic. The verbose contributors of internet forums who used to have post counts in the thousands and could be counted on for a word or two at any activity have for the most part made their own blogs, where they can speak ad nauseum.

All over, it seems people have become disillusioned with internet forums, and have been abandoning them in droves. You can find a forum on just about any subject imaginable - but a live forum, with the kind of activity that had been known in years past, seems pretty rare these days.

In short, I think the internet forum craze was a kind of, well, craze or fad - a fad whose prime time has passed. It was the next newest thing - but now you have facebook and myspace, where people go to meet essentially with their own pages, not just words. Now, unless someone has a real interest in something, they tend to move on from the forums.

That said - I'm glad to see you all here. :)

I guess if Zool and Tralla are showing up, we'd better fill out the old crew.

I left high school, went to university and left behind most of my spare time and other pursuits - including writing. In addition, I simply haven't been as inspired lately, so I haven't been showing up.

O_O

"Guido! NOW"

With an impressively wolfish grin (for a guniea pig- giant or no!!) Guido sprang from his hiding place at Falcon, taking him down in the most graceful and lung-emptying flying tackle anyone had ever seen outside of avian football leagues. Several onlookers applauded. Zool gave it a 9.5, Appy an 8, and one confused chap gave it a towel.

Hands folded behind his back, Ozymandias strode casually to where a very smug indeed pinstripe-clad guinea pig sat comfortably on Falcon2001's chest. He knelt next to the gasping scribe, who rather looked as if he was still trying to process what had just happened.

"Hallo, Falc. Good to see you! Sad though it is, I understand you cannot stay.

...surely you weren't going to leave without having a cheeseburger, though?"

(Good to have evryone back, even if only for a visit! xD )

Well since we're all catching everyone up then. I just found that I got into Seminary in lovely Berkeley, California.

Am currently weighing the pro's and con's of going. A Professor just gave me a bit of advice. She said something like, you choose your Undergraduate school to open as many doors as possible, but you choose your Grad School to figure out where/how you want to live the rest of your life. Got to love advice from Academia huh? Still, I kind of get what she's saying. If I do get into the one IVY school that I have applied for, it could open lots and lots of doors for me. Still, I'll be 30 next month and do I really need another set of doors to walk through just for the sake of what amounts impressing others with the accomplishment?

Maybe it's best to settle on a firmer path now (and 3 to 4 times less expensive) and let this one play through for a while. It's really all about the community I'm heading towards and the Berkeley area school beats out the other two school I'm considering on that score, plus it's much much warmer than Cambridge or Chicago. Wish I had done this like seven years ago, but seven years ago I never would have dreamed that I would making this decision.

rev...

Edited by reverie

Falcon struggled a little with the weight of the guinea pig on his chest and managed to grin weakly.

"Yeah...fine, I love...burgers." he wheezed, a look of quiet panic in his eyes.

(Yeah, I wish I could write again. I've lost my muse, and I doubt I'll find here in this place. These halls of circuits and bureaucracy don't bode well for poetry and prose.)

Guido obligingly stands up, and he and Ozymandias haul Falcon to his feet. While the Loremaster finally reclothes himself, Guido signals to one of the barmaids, who sits Falcon2001 down in front of a still-steaming chesburger, yam french fries, and tankard of Mountain Dew.

"Welcome back, Mister Falcon! So nice to see so many old friends around! I've got to rush, but you just call if you need anything!"

Guido guffawed and clapped the young man on the shoulder as Falcon looked with relief at his abrupt meal.

"Ha! Always said youse alright, kid!"

(She's out there, Big F. Just keep looking, and you'll find her. :dragon:)

Wyvern speeds into the Cabaret Room with his snout in the air, passing by Guido and the Grim Squeaker without so much as a glance as he follows his sense of smell. He stops a few feet away from Falcon2001's table of food, taking a deep whiff of the fragrance and practically tasting the fresh meat patty with the tips of his tongue. Wyvern's tail brushes against Tralla's foot as he reaches out to snatch a couple of goodies off of Falcon's plate, starting with more-than-a-little bit of everything. He pauses at the sight of several pennites glaring at him, however, and quickly begins forming a strategy in his almost dragonic nogin.

"Greetingsss all! Sssince un-idling seems to be the latest fad, I've decided to return after a grueling 12 hour absence since my lassst Pen contribution." Wyvern raises his claws to his snout and proceeds to blow kisses to the surrounding pennites. "But before you all lavish me with welcoming ceremoniesss, I'd like you to hear me out, because I have an excellent full-proof non-negotiable excuse for my absssence. So take a seat while a spin a lil yarn for ya."

Wyvern inches closer to Falcon's food table and snatches one of his fries, popping it into his mouth.

"So... I have thisss looonnng post all written out, right? And I'm about to put it up, but then I see Sssalinye and a gang of other notable pennites visiting, so I say to myself 'what better way to sssay hello than to send'em a long post of Almost Dragonic handwriting?'" Wyvern reaches down and carves off a piece of Falcon's burger, stuffing it into his mouth. "Mmf, good. Anyway, I fold the writing up into a paper airplane and toss it in their direction, but a wind current caused by Grimmael's flatulence makes the airplane swerve off-course and out of an open window. I race after it, barging through the Pen's garden gnome recreation center before finding it stuck in the highest leaves of Annael's tree. So, with my trusssty Almost Dragonic Brand Branch Bracers™ in hand, I decide to climb to the top of the tree in record product time. And I break said record by reaching it in only 4 hours and 7-and-a-half attempts. But as soon as I reach the top, Falcon's Reply Raven swoops down and snatches the writing in its mouth. It soars away before I can catch it, what with the Branch Bracers all tangled the way they were."

Wyvern takes a long chug of the Mountain Dew tankard, spilling it over the sides of his mouth and onto his Hawaiin tunic.

"Sssso, in short, the Reply Raven ate my homework... err, my possst that is. Sssay, you wouldn't happen to have seconds on those burgers would you Ozy?"

The muse has a thousand hands radiating in all directions but up, beating against our flesh but not penetrating. Its hands have been empty of late, and the palms paler but without light. Its body is a sovereign object. It's jolly well here. If someone has sighted the narrative beast lately, I'm offering a bounty.

I cop the RL plea-bargain too :)

I have finished my under-grad and am now at Teacher's College - the workload in this first block is INTENSE!

I've got classmates squealing, running around the online room, clutching their heads and yelling "Brainy-thing HURTS!" before running into the walls and knocking themselves out... ok... so maybe that was hyperbole, but it HAS been really intense :blink:

Anyhoo, that's why my muse filed for a divorce stating irreconcilable differences - it's a good thing my wife and kids love me, though! :D

Congrats to all on their recent successes - a collective "whoot!" goes out to y'all :D

I'll try and be more regular, but I just don't get enough fibre-optic...