The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

What are you reading?

Silver WInd

Just re-read "Beyond Einstein" by Michio Kaku. Nothing quite like theoretical physics to get your mind wandering.

"Poet's Choice" by Edward Hirsch. Some good, some interesting, some bizzare, but all worth a read.

I think for Christmas I am going to receive "Fifteen Poets of the Aztec World" by Miguel Leon-Portilla. This I'm looking forward to as it is supposed to supply two translations for each poem. One is purely phonetical and the other is literal.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Wintersmith" (yay!) by Terry Pratchett (yay yay!). It finally came out as a paperback (yay!). I don't like hardcovers since I read in bed and they are all awkward sharp corners and non-bendy covers, and for those annoyances I am supposed to pay twice the price of a snuggly soft cuddly paperback? Once I've finished it, I'll go back to the Horus Heresy series thingy my friend loaned me and read "The Flight of the Einstein".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just received a pair of William Golding novels, completing my collection: The Paper Men, one of the simplest, and Darkness Visible, the most complex--there's a name in there flickering and fluctuating like a word written in Hebrew and never spoken, which probably would mean something if I knew the language at all. . .I won't be surfacing for a few weeks, at the earliest, and that's with having devoured this one before. . .

recently finished The story of my boyhood and youth by John Muir... excellent view of nature through a child's eyes

now on a slightly different vein, the alternate history novel, The Guns of the South, by Harry Turtledove... a story about time travelers going back to the The American Civil War and giving AK-47s to the South... and the results therein...

lovely book with perspectives both from the front line soldier and from the famous General Lee as well

• 2 weeks later...

Read quite a few books recently.

George R.R. Martin - A Game of Thrones, A Storm of Swords, A Clash of Kings, A Feast for Crows - Breezed through these four books quite fast. Very captivating reading, has you turning the pages very rapidly. Now I can stand in line with all those people who've been clamouring for the fifth book for a couple of years.

Tom Clancy - Clear and Present Danger, The Cardinal of the Kremlin - Usual Tom Clancy stuff. Nice long reads.

Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind - reread this book, still very good and waiting for the continuation.

I'm currently reading Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy (one book down) and have the Liveship Traders trilogy scheduled for after that.

While I can confirm that the most recent book in the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher, Small Favor, is every bit as good as the others. Excellent writing and great fun. A mix between Raymond Chandler's hard-boiled mystery style* and a classic wizard fantasy book, all sent in modern Chicago.

*Less hard-boiled as the series goes on.

So far have read all of Martin's books that have come out very good reading indeed. Another series that I am in the middle of is by Raymond Feist the first book in the series is Shadow of a Dark Queen i believe. It was descent reading not the best but by far not the worst. Another good series that I have recently read is By Sara Douglas. I don't remember the name of the series, but it was very good.

George R.R. Martin - A Game of Thrones, A Storm of Swords, A Clash of Kings, A Feast for Crows - Breezed through these four books quite fast. Very captivating reading, has you turning the pages very rapidly. Now I can stand in line with all those people who've been clamouring for the fifth book for a couple of years.

You should check out his short stories while you wait. Specifically A Song for Lya.

• 2 months later...

The Dark Tower by Stephen King

Oh. My.

The most sweeping epic I've read in a long, long time. I just finished book five of the seven last week, maybe not even since The Lord of the Rings. It's already got so very much. A near soliloquy on Pepsi that was actually quite moving, probably the best inappropriate use of Harry Potter ever, a very, very creepy monorail, and the most likeable heroin addict I've ever seen.

The series even crosses over into much of King's other novels directly. Wolves of the Calla features Salem's Lot elements in a biiiig way.

I'm loving this story so much, I think what I'll do now wthat I've finished Wolves, I'm going to start reading the crossover novels. I don't *want* it to end!!!!

Did I mention this is the first King I've ever read?

No matter what, though, I can guarantee that it'll be the best sc-fi/horror/western/fantasy epic you'll ever read. :P

Dreamcatcher by Stephen King

One of the few cases since childhood where I watched the movie first, then read the book. Most King fans I've heard from turn their nose sup at the movie; that the movie cut out too much. I've made it almost two hundred pages in, and I already see marked differences. For one, our boys are markedly less noble and pure. Not in any horrifying way, mind you, just very normal kids, then very...wel, mostly normal adults who are very, very depressed.

So far, so good.

The Forty-Niners by Alan Moore

Moore remains an irascible, humanity hating old bastard who can write more creatively than eight hundred five year olds.

Top 10: The Forty-Niners (a prequel to his series Top 10) show him not slowing down at all. Vampires as vaguely Jewish chatty old folks is awesome. Not to mention super-cabbies.

P.S.-

Pat, Rothfuss' second book has been released for awhile now.

Finished Robin Hobb's Assassin trilogy a while back. It was a fun read, although it did drag on at times. Now reading the Liveship Traders trilogy by the same author. At times it's very good, and then at times it's much too slow. Still a fun read, but I don't think it ranks with the best.

I've just spent the past few weeks reading the brothers karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky. It was pretty intense. I really really liked it, though!

Also, at the insistance of my 13-year-old cousin--who claims that after the next book, Edward's totally leaving Bella to marry her--I read all three of the Twilight books. They were actually terribly entertaining and surprisingly well written, for the most part. I didn't expect much of them--vamp romance isn't really my thing-- but I was pleasantly surprised.

I fell in love with the "Twilight Series" by Stephenie Meyer.

"Twilight", "New Moon", "Eclipse", and "Breaking Dawn" (Soon to be Released)

I also just finished "Sunday's at Tiffany's" by James Patterson

Currently am casually floating through the "Discworld Series" by Terry Prachett. On the second book "The Light Fantastic".

And have decided to reread the "Harry Potter Series"...and actually finish it and read the last two books. :P

• 2 years later...

"Leaders and Misleaders" brilliant bit of work, written by my father... you have no idea how annoying it can be realising I agree with him, on a lot of things.

if you want to get a taste of what he writes ask and I can post the web links.

:raven:

Leaders and Misleaders Blog

Edited by cryptomancer
Inserting Link

Not too long ago I picked up a compilation of National Geographic articles only to find that about half of them overlapped with my back issues--possibly the same frustration which sent both of them to the charity shop in the first place. Oh well. Some of the other articles had been mined far out of the past and were still fresh and engaging. Otherwise I've been reading The Entrepreneur's Guide to Sewn Product Manufacturing and (gasp, gulp) writing in the margins, cross-indexing that book with its supporting blog. No fiction recently. Needed more brain stimulation than that, and yikes have I gotten that. . .