The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Werewolf Q+A

DeanTheAdequate

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something else : I just came home from roleplaying, and the person whose place we were playing at had the WW card game - looked pretty interesting :-)

Also, it turns out that there are a lot more special roles in the game than the ones we use here, and I'm thinking about adding one (or two?) to my game, if I manage to find a way to get them in ... just to see the effect on an online WW game ;)

:lol: , I thought all of you would know them already, had decided to leave them out for balance / ease of forum use / various other reasons and I was the last to find out :P

Here goes what I remember :

• Cupid : On the first night, this player chooses two other players who are inseparable (madly in love, close relatives, any reason you can think of). When one of them dies (through lynching / werewolf / other reasons), the other one dies as well. They may not vote against each other, not even to mislead the other players. If they are a wolf and a villager, they must cooperate to get rid of all the other villagers so they can live together in peace. Cupid may indicate him / herself as one of the two.
  • The witch : (S)he can brew potions of restoration and poisons. The witch has the power to revive one dead character, and to poison one living character in addition to the kills of the wolves. (S)he can use the potion / poison on him or herself. I'm not quite sure about whether (s)he can do this only once in the game, or more frequently, but it seems logical to have this happen only once.
  • The innocent little girl : A little bit like the seer, only I don't think this would work on a forum. The girl can peek through her fingers in the night phase to see who the wolves are, but if she is caught by the wolves she dies silently instead of the victim.
  • The thief : not sure on how to implement this in a forum game. At the start of the game, you put two extra cards in the deck, so that there are two more roles than players. The extra cards are put face-down on the table, and during the first night the Thief can look at them. If he likes what he sees, he can swap his own role for one of these two.
I'm sure there were more, but this is all I can remember now... Edited by Venefyxatu

What I know of them are that they're variations of the "core" game. :)

We could try them sometime... but it's my opinion that we shouldn't use too many special roles. We need the plain villagers also :P I'd say that, maybe instead of the Baner, we can use the cupid or the witch.

The thief one is a bit troublesome... because you could end up with no wolves or just one wolf, or no Seer... but it's just my opinion.

I like the Cupid variation... hmm...

Tzimfemme's Wile E. Coyote instincts leap to life as Ozymandias meep-meeps past in a blur, and she reaches for the nearest ACME catalog and a cell phone. . .

Two hours, thirteen minutes, and fifty-five seconds later, she signs the FedEx clipboard and receives a heart-shaped ring box, labeled ACME Instant Plot Hook *boulder not included. She inserts the key into the tab, twirls the key, and slowly peels away the seal. The box pops open, revealing a tablet and a hand-held detonator with a button on either end. Tzimfemme twinkletoes to just behind Ozymandias and places the tablet delicately between his heels, then creeps into the shade behind a convenient boulder, leaving visible only her fist holding the detonator. She presses the green button.

Above and behind oblivious Ozymandias unfolds a construction crane tipped with a vicious, glinting, double-edged hook. The hook and its cable descend steadily from the tip of the crane, and as you watch Ozymandias, you can see the shadow of the hook grow larger and fall over his face as the hook stops just behind his pants. Tzimfemme smiles broadly in full sun and presses the red button. The D8million from Werewolf IV ceases its upward flight. Shadow falls on Tzimfemme once more.

• 11 months later...

Wyvern darts into the Werewolf Question and Answer session and ducks his head, clutching his horns as a stream of extended microphones and mounted video cameras swarm in hot pursuit. The reptilian Elder cries out and screeches to a halt as he reaches a dead end wall with a Werewolf sign-up sheet attached to it. The camera wires and and mini-speakers close in around him as he presses his scales to the wall.

"Mr. Wyvern." A very old woman in a retro news reporter outfit steps out from the crowd. She waves her cane at a younger media hound and adjusts her dentures. "Granny Jameez, baner, Werewolf XXIV. Is it true that this new Werewolf thread of yours won't be appropriate for the youngins?"

"Wh-why nonsense!" Wyvern strikes a nervous grin as several flashes go off. "Ms. Jameez, I can assure you that there's nothing in this new Werewolf thread that your children won't be able to find in 'Naughty Nymph,' 'Tight Fairy Tails,' or 'Nubile Eleven Ears'"

"Wyvern!" A very young girl steps from the crowd and shoves Granny Jameez to the ground. She strikes a satisfied grin as she treds over the granny's arm, then takes out a hunting knife and begins etching notes. "Tabatha Johnston, baner, Werewolf XXI. How much bloodshed and murderous lynching can we expect in Werewolf XXX?"

"Well, not a whole lot." Wyvern scratches the back of his head. "Ssssee, uhhh, the lynchings are replaced with these other tests of endurance... but y'know, I'm sure there'll be some pain involved. And torture. Definitely potential torture."

"Lord Wyvern." A woman dressed in garments coated in heiroglyphics steps forward. "Napheen, baner, Werewolf XXIV. I hail from the times of the great pyramids. But tell me, mystic lizard, when is this rumored chapter in Werewolf history scheduled to take place?"

"Waddaya mean 'when is it scheduled?'" Wyvern raises a brow as inquisitive eyes glare at him from all angles. "Werewolf XXX has been opened to participation for nearly two yearsss now! Anyone who wishes to participate need only enter into the 'Werewolf BEE-ATCH!' thread located in the Ssscarlet Pen and participate. Simple."

"Excuse me, Mr. Wyvern." A tall fireman muppet dangles his way from the crowds. "Firefighter McCleary, baner, Werewolf XXVIII. I was wondering, what do you mean exactly that the thread is already ope-"

Firefighter McCleary pauses as a note is passed to him from a mupper rat in the crowd. He reads it over, and his dangling shoulders are lowered. McCleary turns his head to the muppet rat and slaps the note with his decorative firehouse.

"What do you mean I'm no longer going to be the baner in Werewolf XXVIII now that I've revealed my identity?!" Firefighter McCleary tosses down the note and turns to the rat with his token firefighter axe. " Well I QUIT, you vermin!"

"Ummm." Wyvern watches as McCleary chases after the rat with his axe, running off of the set. The overgrown lizard tugs at his collar, then clears his throat in the awkward silence. "So, uhhh, isss it just a coincidence that all of you news reporter folks are baners?"

;-p

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to mod the first open game after mid-April/early-May. (I suspect it's safe to say XXXI/XXXIII (Do you want the former or not, Tanny?))

I haven't decided on a theme yet (maybe I'll think of a few and we can have a vote) but I'd like to try something very different: Everyone knows all the roles, and we play it by pure RP. You'd need very strong characters for it. On the other hand, I figure if someone wants to play multiple characters, then that's okay. Only major concern I can think of there is that part of it is that if we get too many people, we may need to shorten the phases. And I can probably just give the big roles to those who have had the least opportunity to do so, or maybe those that make the most sense IC (or maybe those who bribe me the most :D).

Does anyone else think this would be interesting to try?

Note: Orrr, we could just run this alongside one of the other ones, and let it go as long as it needs to go. Maybe even lengthen day phase to 3 days or some such? Because I've been thinking I'd probably need to rework Baner/Seer a bit, and it might not seem much like a WW game when I'm through...

• 2 months later...

I've got more ideas for mine, also. Since we were talking about having the RP-variant taking place at the same time as another game, I'm hoping that I can mod that other game as well. :P Thus, there'd be XXIX and XXIX.V running consequetively (sp?) but XXIX.V would be on an extended schedule and when XXIX finishes, Patrick can begin XXXI.

XXIX: A simple village setting, with actual werewolves. Twist (I do like twists): no one, not even the werewolves, knows their own roles, at least at first. Because seers can't work that way, there will be only baners, and to counter the fact that there would be two night-kills each night, I'll have 3 baners. These baners will change around, though - I'll reroll them every night. I'm doing this because IC it makes more sense - everyone but the wolves are trying to protect someone, but they may or may not succeed. The wolves think they're trying to protect people too... but they fail because unbeknownst to their day selves, they turn into wolves during the night. The thing is, they'll start to figure it out as the game goes on, because people they don't like start to turn up dead. Also, PMs of all sorts will be encouraged.

XXIX.V: I finally thought of a setting where characters can be fairly developed, yet still quick to blame - the old "everyone's fighting for an elderly man's money" scheme. Poor to middling class characters, can be relatives or servants or friends, but you must all have a reason that you need the money, though only a few will have the actual gumption to be killing off other contestants for it. The man himself will live for most of the game, may even encourage the in-fighting (he'll probably be the one enacting the "lynching", probably by kicking the person out of the house). And, since baning doesn't fit very well with this in my mind, I'm giving you seers only - 3 seers each with a 2/3 chance to see, because none of you have supernatural powers, only a tendency to watch others. Remember that everyone knows everyone else's role in this game - the focus is entirely on your character's ability to convince the other characters. I'll probably have a 1 week day/night phase cycle, with maybe 6 days and 1 day or 5 and 2.

So you see, the ideas are opposites in more than one way.

Can I? Please?

XXIX: A simple village setting, with actual werewolves. Twist (I do like twists): no one, not even the werewolves, knows their own roles, at least at first. Because seers can't work that way, there will be only baners, and to counter the fact that there would be two night-kills each night, I'll have 3 baners. These baners will change around, though - I'll reroll them every night. I'm doing this because IC it makes more sense - everyone but the wolves are trying to protect someone, but they may or may not succeed. The wolves think they're trying to protect people too... but they fail because unbeknownst to their day selves, they turn into wolves during the night. The thing is, they'll start to figure it out as the game goes on, because people they don't like start to turn up dead. Also, PMs of all sorts will be encouraged.

If I understand the mechanics correctly...

-No one knows their roles

-3 baners picked from among the villagers, none of which are sure to keep their roles (as the dice decides who is a baner for each night phase)

-2 wolves, neither of which is told that they are a wolf. Every night they are given the question of who to "protect" (the same as the baner), except that the person they choose to "protect" is killed instead. In time, they would realize that they are killing others, not protecting them, and would realize they are wolves.

-PMs encouraged

XXIX.V: I finally thought of a setting where characters can be fairly developed, yet still quick to blame - the old "everyone's fighting for an elderly man's money" scheme. Poor to middling class characters, can be relatives or servants or friends, but you must all have a reason that you need the money, though only a few will have the actual gumption to be killing off other contestants for it. The man himself will live for most of the game, may even encourage the in-fighting (he'll probably be the one enacting the "lynching", probably by kicking the person out of the house). And, since baning doesn't fit very well with this in my mind, I'm giving you seers only - 3 seers each with a 2/3 chance to see, because none of you have supernatural powers, only a tendency to watch others. Remember that everyone knows everyone else's role in this game - the focus is entirely on your character's ability to convince the other characters. I'll probably have a 1 week day/night phase cycle, with maybe 6 days and 1 day or 5 and 2.

As I understand the mechanics...

-No baner

-3 seers, each with a 2/3 chance to "see" during night phase

-Don't know about the wolves... other than that they are very eager to get the money and will stop at nothing ot remove others from their path to wealth

-Each "Day" in game (day and night phase together) will last 1 week. Night phase will either last 1 or 2 days.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd say they both look interesting (as I understand them) especially the first one.

That's pretty close, Akallabeth. I do need to clarify, though, that actually each night every player would give both a killing choice and a baning choice. The wolves' kill choice would be implemented, and the baners' protect choice.

Also, I'm reconsidering the idea that the baners change each night, as it might give too much sway to the wolves. If a baner manages to bane successfully, there should be a chance of trying again and whatnot... though a few things just entered my mind: multiple baners means that none of them can be sure which one baned successfully, so there might have to be extra information passed out at this point. And ... something else... it's gone. Anyway, there are still mechanics to work out and there may be some changes, but I just wanted to gauge the general interest in the idea. And I want to reiterate that PMing is going to be extremely important in this game because I'm hoping that eventually the wolves might be able to find each other, and so could the baners. Potentially.

So, to recap:

Normally Village game Mansion game
2 wolves 2 wolves 2 wolves
1 baner 3 baners, slightly altered rules governing success no baners
1 seer no seers 3 seers, less chance of seeing
48 hour day phase 48 hours day phase 5 day day phase
24 hour night phase 24 hour night phase 2 day night phase
Each player knows their own role Nobody knows anybody's role, to begin with Everybody knows everybody's role
PMs only by wolves, to each other PMs are highly enouraged (but PMd to mod) No PMs... all communication done IC
Night consists of PMs by specials Each player PMs choice of kill and choice of protect, though only the specials will have their actions carried out The players can RP their choices directly

Capishe?

Those both sound really neat, Katz. One question on the mansion game - if the players RP their choices directly, not PM them, would the seers have their info PM'd to them, or given in OOC?

In the mansion game, everybody knows from day 1 who the wolves are, and the seers, and whatnot. This is why Tanny originally dubbed it an "RP variation" - I'm hoping that the point won't be for either side to win, but rather to play out the game and find out, if those people had actually been in those positions, who might have won. Thus the wolves can choose IC who they would want to kill... the seers can choose IC who they think looks suspicious... and it's really more of an RP than it is a WW game. That's why I want to have extended phases, and why I want to have the other WW at the same time.

• 10 months later...

A question, which popped up during a discussion between Tanny and me.

If there is one wolf remaining in a game and that wolf targets the baner, while the baner banes the wolf, what should a mod do? If the baner banes himself and the wolf targets him?

Oh, and put me down for XXXIX, with a subject not decided yet.

A question, which popped up during a discussion between Tanny and me.

If there is one wolf remaining in a game and that wolf targets the baner, while the baner banes the wolf, what should a mod do? If the baner banes himself and the wolf targets him?

the baners power is usually considered to be greater than the wolves so in both cases no kill for the night but technically it is up to the mod

Hmm... once I ruled that wolf would be stronger, but I really wasn't too happy with the situation. I guess that the fairest result would be a stalemate.... and maybe there is no winner, or a compromise is made to at least close the story. Depending on the WW theme, that might even give more chance to RP...

On a more practical topic - Pat's game is almost ending, so I'd like to know if Savage Dragon is ready to mod his game :). If you are, please just open a sign up!

Mod Master List - update

• WW XXXIV - Savage Dragon (Super-heroes)
  • WW XXXV - Ayshela (Art Gallery)
  • WW XXXVI - Ozy (Matrix)
  • WW XXXVII - Tanny (Jordan's Wheel of Time or King Arthur/Avalon)
  • WW XXXVIII - Merelas (back to basics... possibly)
  • WW XXXIX - Patrick (no theme yet)
  • WW XL - Mynx (Saw)

• 3 months later...

I *think* things have calmed down enough that I could probably run a game in the near future...

But I still want to do my Saw theme and I know a lot of you aren't enthused about such a...psychotic plot...

So...would anyone actually be willing to play?

How about you give us a quick summary of the plot, along with how gory your posts will be... then we decide if we want to be in? ;)

After all, as you pointed out to me - Vannacutt Point was a psychotic (and bloody/gory) story but it is one of my favorites, with a character that I loved playing :P

The Saw trilogy is based around a character by the name of Jigsaw. He's not a serial killer, because he has never murdered his victims. No, instead he takes them and places them in situations where only their inactivity will lead to their death. He takes those who don't appreciate life and tests how much they really want to live.

I want to use the theme of the second movie. A group of strangers wake up trapped in a house full of traps. They've been poisoned, and in order to get the antidote they need to solve the traps. The wolf would be an agent of Jigsaw's, coaxing victims into the right rooms and ensuring they don't survive the test.

It will be violent, and gorey, but I can restrict myself to not be any worse than Vannacutt Point or Skielah...

Hmmmmm.... apart your gorey side, kitty, I like the idea of the plot...

Alright, I can't really promise I'll have the time to manage this, but consider this a half-yeah. When you open a sign-up, I'll decide what to do... meanwhile, I'll catch you around to talk about this ;)

Ok well I'd like to set up a signup now, but since I'll probably have to give it a couple of weeks to get enough people to join, and the week after *that* I'm going away...

Everyone happy to wait about a month?

Or does someone else want to step in first?

Going to opt out for a Saw themed game. Gore isn't a problem for me at all, there's simply too much "ends justify the means" mentality in those stories for me to want to be in one.

If it's a similar style to Saw (same setting is fine, too), with a plot that's totally Mynx's, I'll happily play. For my own, I remain at your beck and call, whenever anyone wants to do the Matrix.

~Moi~

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't think I ever would again, but I currently have enough time that I could run my game(s). I don't even remember the details of the ideas except that I wanted to twist the normal rules in two different ways at once, and that it would take a lot of time on my part to do. Also that it's written down earlier in this thread so I can reconstruct the thought process and figure out the mechanics whenever I need to. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, I'd like to be put back on the "Mods, Ready and Willing" list. :)