The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Werewolf Q+A

DeanTheAdequate

We've got answers!

DeanTheAdequate here :wizzie: , and this is the thread for questions, comments, and speculation of the Werewolf games. Be warned tho'. Thw wolves are on the prowl, so guard your secrets.

Hope we can be of service!

Mod edit: This thread will be pruned from time to time, to clean up out-of-date posts. If you have anything that you wish to keep (ideas for games, for example), we advise to do so in a file elsewhere! Thanks.

/Tanny

Edited by Tanuchan

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, I'd just like to ask everybody to state the votes clearly in a last OOC line. It's getting a bit confused whether we're accusing or just suspecting and giving chance for an answer.

Up to this post time stamp, it seems there's no accusation yet ?

Edited by Tanuchan

I don't really see big problems about posting and waiting for an answer before putting a vote in. I think it adds to the fun of RP. I do think however that it should be done in a way that we all have our votes clearly stated by the first deadline given.

RP is great, I also love that, but we have to balance it with the time allowed us. :)

That's just my thoughts, so please if anyone has anything else to add or comment, post it here. :)

- Tanny

Here's my question: when's the next one? Do we wait until WWII is finished? (If so, we're in trouble because WWII lastest much longer than just until June... ;) )

I'd like to be involved. Do we get to PM you, Dean and try to convince you to let us be villager/baner/wolf/seer, or you just pick for us? Any way I'm game!

PS. I want to be clear on these timing things. You often seemed to state "by midnight" but when is that exactly? (seeing as we're all in different time zones?) Could you do a post in this thread that says "Midnight my time is X hours from this here post." and then I can easily figure out when that is my time?

Thanks.

to join the game you just have to speak up during the next game signup which will be posted in the cabaret room or maybe here in the conservatory.

Once a game begins then it is effectivally locked, no new players until the next game. but everyone is encouraged to watch. on other forums observers have even started threads talking about the game.

The roles are random at the discreation of the moderator. They PM you to imform you of your role. If you don't feel up to the "main" roles (seer, baner, werewolves), I am sure that a simple PM to the moderator would change your role to a villager. Being an innocent villager is the default role.

The time issue is usually solved either by using the forum timer or by letting everyone know which time to use and how many hours the difference is.

just so everyone knows dean uses EST and it is currently in the 3:00 pm hour

that makes it about <5 hours difference>

Dean does this pretty much sum up the questions?

Edited by Eyremon

Yes, yes! Well handled Eyremon, and thanks! The server was all wonky last night and I was unable to post.

As for the WW game... Next game is going to be handled by Tanuchan! She want's a crack at moderating. As for the particulars of the game, like theme and signup, that happens after the wrap-up of the current game. Keep an eye out for a Werewolf signup III.

Glad to see new players! It's why I was recruited!

• 2 weeks later...

Lady Celes: I am inclined to think you don't mean to say "resume" so much as background, history, et cetera. Resume is usually used to mean the thing that you give to potential employers outlining job history. ;)

But I was wondering, why wouldn't we put any background in the actual story? Or would these backgrounds include information on how the baner/seer/wolves got to be who they were? If this is the case, I would vote not to add these into the Chronicles, or at least not until the end, because they would be spoilers. I know it's not up to me - but that's how I see it.

Also, don't you assign for us characters to play? How could we send them before beginning?

And I had another, unrelated question: Tam was saying when he played, the baner was only allowed to bane each person once. Are we playing that way too?

While I'm on a roll, I was curious about rules, if any, about roleplaying character emotions. Typically a story would allow you to see into a person's mind a little and people seem to be using it this way, but if you were playing the wolves properly you couldn't do this without lying to the reader about what they were feeling. So, either the wolves are allowed to "lie" (which I suspect may be happening currently) or no one should be doing this, which is a pity because it takes away an entire aspect of the story. Anyway, should we be contricting ourselves to only what other people can see? This would include diaries, which may be false, and crying and so forth, but not, "So and so felt sad about Somebody's death"... You may want to wait to answer this one until the current story is played out, unless you can avoid explaining how it's currently working.

Thanks.

Well, the Baning rule could be used that way if the Mod wishes it. But I don't play it like that. Each game's specifics will be in the signup.

As for writing this up, I'm getting a little backlogged! I still need to do the next Yama Mitsurugi story and a story for some friends on another site.... A great idea, but I'm not sure I can do it right away... Gomen :(

As for the "Inner monolouge" there should be no problem with that. Game wise, yes the wolves will have to lie. However, writing wise this is still an RP thread, so have fun is what I say!

And now I'm off to see who dies.

Until later!

Katzaniel, as Dean said the role of the Baneer can have some variations and it's up to each Mod to set it. The sign-up post and first post of the game thread is very important also because of the instructions they would bring. So, each game can be a bit different.

You are free to RP as much as you want, showing or not emotions, being as plain or deep as you want. The mod just asks you to stick to the proper deadlines for voting. As for the wolves, the players set their mood... of course, as this is a game, they'll either have to lie or actually commit suicide. :P If you want, check the first Werewolf thread, where I played the wolf.

The Wolfen Chronicles and backstory: you can have a backstory for your character but, as Katzaniel pointed out, it's just when the game starts that you know if you're the Seer/Baneer/Wolf, so part of that backstory is necessarity created afterwards.

The Chronicles are writen after the end of the game, so we can put all the development, including any interaction the wolves care to have "recorded". I may be writing up this one, if Dean and the other players give me permission for that ;) So, if the wolves later would tell me their reasoning for choosing each victim, or if they still have the PMs they've exchanged, I'd be glad to listen/see them.

~Tanny

Edited by Tanuchan

From the first one:

Tanny cries silenty, her body racked by painful sobs. Her thoughts race away but come back in circles, chased by the shock of opening the door and finding Lady Celes' body.

... friends... and my closest friend she was...

... such nice... gentle... compassionate woman...

... dammmit you'll pay for it...

... m'lady...

She is startled back to reality when something hot is pressed into her hands.

"Get a hold on yourself, girl. Drink this. And wake up the others."

*nods, whispers* T-thank you.

Tanny goes on knocking on doors and calling out. As she walks the corridors, familiarity wraps around her and by the time she comes downstairs she's almost calm.

*to herself* Need... wits. To get him. No use crying myself dead... *shudders*... crying myself dead... while the creature is around. I'll have time for mourning when all this is finished. *breathes deeply, forcing herself to keep composed*

She waits at a corner, observing closely everyone as they come down.

So why was the wolf upset, shocked, and vengeful? I still don't quite get it, Tanuchan. Do the werewolves have amnesia during the day or something? How can their *thoughts* lie?

=P

LOL

Well, I think you got me ... Thoughts can't lie, of course. But as I was playing a wolf, I couldn't put my reals thoughts, could I?

It's RP but it's a game, Katzaniel. Don't overanalyse it... the fun is in trying to survive through RPing. Some will keep just spoken words and acts, but I do put everything. Maybe it's not quite right, but it's what I do.

I really don't have any explanation for that. So it was that I said the wolves are played as the player sees fit. :P Sorry if my RPing does take some licence from what would be "real"... But the important is that it doesn't spoil anyone's fun, including the player's.

:)

~Tanny

Edited by Tanuchan

That's the idea. You can even keep commenting on what you "see" the living doing. You cannot however give your opinion or state suspicions or strategies. As a rule, avoid influencing the living in any way, then you're free to be a ghost and haunt Garnavon Hall ;)

Two questions:

Are we to assume that all of the characters now know of Dean's innocence?

And, does "no accusations" prohibit idle accusatory gossip, or just actual votes? (I imagine the former, and thus will refrain from it, but I'd like to be more clear on that).

My opinion on the second question is based on what I've seen in the Werewolf II game. I think that you can gossip about anyone but not do formal accusation. In the previous game, Deamon's character wrote in his nightphase post that he still thinks that MeThinksUFoolish's persona still have his full suspicion while wondering about Elwen's character as well.

Answering all questions...

* Yes, you can assume everybody knows who's innocent/guilty after each lynching/killing post. The fact that they're dead is proof enough ;) Any assassin (= wolf) killed will also come with the proof of guilt

* Night phase = no accusation whatsoever. You can gossip and comment but avoid finger-pointing and accusatory speculation.

For this last question, think like this: it's night, you should be sleeping. The stricter rules say that it's time for wolves' plotting. I'm allowing RP for the fun of it. If you do need a "If I die before morning," please post that before the lynching scene/beginning of night phase.

Your RPing is just great! :) I'm having loads of fun reading them, specially when it came to American vs British... :lol:

~Tanny

By the way...

Just to clarify one aspect of this particular game: while you're really voting for a lynching, I'm not going to use it in the story - it doesn't make much sense in this setting to have people lynching others.

For story purposes, your chosen "lynching victim" is going to be taken care of in other ways than being killed by the other players just because they're being suspected of. So it was that Dean died because of the smoke/fire in his improvised lab.

Hope to have helped :)

~ Tanny

There were comments about OOC lines that appeared last day, that I'd like to discuss a bit...

Going OOC to say anything about one's role in the game is an option that has always been left open to the players. However, I also feel it does affect roleplay if, for example, we step OOC to claim we're innocent.

So, should we just make an informal deal that OOC lines are fine, as long as we avoid using them to reveal roles in the game?

~Tanny

Edited by Tanuchan

I've noticed in previous games people posting OOCs like, "Sorry, I was away for a week." and no one commented, but it sure makes it look like you're innocent since the wolves can't really go away for a week and still play the game, at least not when there's only one wolf left. I think this is something where we really just need to say, "Use your common sense". I know it's easy to step OOC and not really think about what you're saying, so if we just realize that we need to be careful about it, I don't think there will be a problem.

I did apologies because I was out for one day in the Japanese game, but I did PM my wolf partner for whom I wanted to kill and therefore, not slowing down the pace of the game. But I must say that whoever plays the Seer and the Baner, should be careful.

What I meant, really, wasn't these kinds of OOC line. I was thinking about what specifically brought up last comments, when a person states clearly their role in the game -- not being away or similar things, for a PM with instructions for the mod is sufficient for taking care of those.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts :)

~Tanny

Yeah, that's true. But it still adds to the wrong sort of speculation, I think.

Anyway, I had an OOC note for Gnarlitch that I think was getting too long, so I decided to put it in this thread:

I think that what you said about werewolves will be pretty hard to undo. However, if you are a seer we could pretend that what you saw was a seer-analogy to the assassins, and since you have little experience with that kind of seeing (you are fairly young and have probably not lived through any murders) you misinterpreted what you saw and took her for a real werewolf. Whatever we say, though, it will probably have to be clarified later. Like if you live through tonight, you could have another dream that explains it better. Or, if you were a wolf after all, you could explain it away easily by saying you were trying to distract us from the real problem. And possibly decided later that it was backfiring. I guess I'm just saying we don't have to try to erase what you said; it might be easier to find another explanation for it.

Also, I have had no problems with your role-playing style. Either it's similar enough to ours, or you're adapting better than you think. And if you're referring to the whole OOC thing, don't worry, it's a mistake anyone could make.

And now that your secret's out: Good luck!